Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Vote Or Quench: An Open Letter To The Nigerian Youth



A few months ago, I had the opportunity to voice my opinion and suggest solutions to a shortlist of our country's well known and resented problems. From the ongoing corruption stripping away our depleting resources, the deplorable school system depriving our students of a proper education, to the lack of infrastructure hindering our Nation's growth. A lot of the blame has fallen on our leaders, the leaders that have deceived us, and have never had our best interest at heart. The response I received was astounding. Nigerians thanked me for my honesty and blamed me for my complacency. Yes, I was speaking to our leaders and demanding change from them, but what was I doing to make a difference. The saying "if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem" never rang truer. The truth of the matter is that the time for blaming our leaders has come to an end. It's time for us to look within and ask ourselves what are we doing to make a change.

This time I am writing to my peers, the Nigerian youth, the future of our country. We are can no longer avoid blame in the current affairs of our country. Though we are very much aware of the injustice, and heart breaking cruelty we are forced to endure, we shrug our shoulders and say that's the system. How much longer will we continue to accept this system? A system that has forced our brothers and sisters to a life of crime, abetted by a lack of opportunity. A system that has led to the destruction of the once beautiful shores of the Niger Delta. A system that forces you to bribe your professor for a passing grade. A system that puts fear in your heart every time a police officer that is supposed to be protecting you, threatens your life for 100 Naira. How much longer will we accept this as a normal part of life?

No comments: